Monday, July 28, 2014

The Research Man Approach-eth
PDX 8:30am

My flight boards soon, but I wanted to get re-started on the ol' (*blows*, *sputters*, and *coughs* as digital dust flies around the room) blogspot. I am heading to Mexico, again (finally!), this time for some serious one-on-one time with the archives and sites I am using for the dissertation. I'm looking to answer questions about the role of education in Spanish/European colonization, especially in the less institutional teaching and learning places away from the formal religious schools. I am most interested to understand the various methods and pedagogies that educators used to reach and then transform their "student body," and the ways that the locals created their own places of learning. I'm studying early colonial documents and material goods, especially a few specific "classrooms." More on this topic as the research progresses.

Anyway, This is my first solo trip (scared much?), and I am hoping to spend a little more time than usually (ahem) on tracking my research and findings. I am very excited to see what I find to help my investigation, but I also want a safe (boring) trip abroad. Stay tuned to see how this crazy adventure unfurls.

No comments:

Post a Comment