Sunday, July 10, 2011

First things, first...

July 3rd -
First day. First avocado tree. First impressions. First fireworks experience in a less controlled environment.
I landed at 7:55am, and even with no sleep from the night before I still found time to help set up the welcoming party tonight. I met our community chaperon, Berta, and her helpful and pleasant husband, Hector. Both speak little to no English, and my attempts to communicate were only slightly embarrassing for me. Berta seems like a gracious person, and while I am working here on my own, I might want to tap her for her wisdom and local knowledge. After the welcoming party, as a group, we watched a local celebration – what I called our “Tres de Julio” celebration – which included a gigantic fireworks display, full of screeching sounds, vibrant colors, and comets of firework-parts that rained freely upon us.
They know how to celebrate, here; experiencing explosions of color and sound, from a safe location – standing directly next to, or under, them.
Thank you Oaxaca, for welcoming us to your culture.

Question:
Our mezcal-punch included a rim coated with a salt (allegedly) made from ground-up worms. How did Pre- and Colonial Period Oaxaquenos include other insects into their diet?

No comments:

Post a Comment